History of Supreme Court Building
Prior to 2005, the Supreme Court was formerly housed within the Old Supreme Court Building which was built between 1937 and 1939. Located at St Andrew’s Road, the building was originally constructed to house just four courts. Due to an increasing workload, 12 additional courtrooms were constructed in the adjacent City Hall Building in 1986.The Old Supreme Court Building was gazetted as a national monument in 1992. It was vacated in 2005 with the opening of the current Supreme Court building, situated directly behind the Old Supreme Court. The building has since been restored, and, together with the adjacent City Hall building, now houses the National Gallery Singapore, a visual arts museum.
The current Supreme Court Building has been the seat of Singapore’s highest court since mid-2005. The building was officially opened by President S.R. Nathan in 2006.